Salted Caramel Shortbread
185g / 6½oz butter, at room temperature
75g / 3oz caster sugar
250g / 9oz plain flour
185g / 6½oz butter
75g / 3oz golden caster sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
300g / 10oz sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon salt
150g / 5oz plain or milk chocolate
- Line a 18 x 27cm / 7 x 11in rectangular cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Pre heat the oven to 160ºC fan; 170ºC conventional oven, centre shelf; GM4.
- For the shortbread, mix the butter and sugar together and then mix in the flour.
- Evenly spread the shortbread into the prepared tin and bake until pale golden for 20-25 minutes.
- For the caramel, melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk together in a large pan. Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved then increase the heat, continuing to stir, and boil the mixture until it is deep golden and a thick consistency. Stir in the salt.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and allow to cool.
- For the chocolate topping, break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a bowl over a pan of boiling water (keeping the bowl out of the water).
- Spread the melted chocolate over the caramel and leave to cool completely.
- Cut into squares to serve.