Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs
Sweet and delicious these Hawaiian Kebabs are ideal for a summer evening meal or BBQ.
75ml tomato puree
75ml dark brown sugar
75ml soy sauce
60ml pineapple juice
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill1
1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Salt and black pepper to season
500g boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into small cube
500g chopped or cubed pineapple ( you can use canned but we recommend fresh)
1 1/2 large green peppers, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
1 large red onion, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- Soak wooden skewers in water to avoid burning.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together tomatoes puree, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil.
- Stir in 3/4 tsp pepper. Place chicken in a sealable bag. Reserve half of the marinade in refrigerator then pour remaining marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate 3 hours.
- Preheat a griddle. Meanwhile, drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over red onion, bell pepper and pineapple and toss. Season red onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper, then thread red onion, bell pepper, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used.
- Brush griddle with olive oil then place skewers on griddle. Cook for 5 minutes then brush along tops with remaining marinade. Rotate and cook about 4 minutes longer.