Venison and Orange Casserole
3 tbsp oil
675g (1½ lb) stewing venison, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp wholemeal flour
300ml (½ pint) beef stock
2 oranges, grated zest and juice
1 tbsp tomato purée
5 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp black treacle
Salt and black pepper
175g (6 oz) mushrooms, thickly sliced
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in an AGA cast iron casserole and fry the meat in batches until browned, place to one side.
2. Add the remaining oil to the casserole and sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
3. Gradually blend in the stock, orange zest and juice, tomato purée, brandy and treacle, stir well.
4. Return the meat and juices to the casserole and season. Bring the contents to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, cover with the lid.
5. Transfer to the Simmering Oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Then stir in the mushrooms and return to the Simmering Oven for a further 30 minutes.
Cook on the hotplate then transfer to the oven at 140°C (275°F), fan oven 120°C, Gas Mark 1 for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Then stir in the mushrooms and simmer for a further 30 minutes. Check seasoning and garnish with orange and sprinkle with chopped parsley.