250g (9 oz) digestive biscuits
125g (4½ oz) butter, melted
2 packets gelatine
2 lemons, finely grated zest and juice
3 medium free range eggs
200g (7 oz) caster sugar
350g (12 oz) quark
350g (12 oz) mascarpone cheese
300ml double cream, lightly whipped
Punnet of strawberries, hulled and cut into halves
1. Mix the biscuit crumbs and melted butter together and press onto the base of the 24cm AGA spring form tin. Chill.
2. Place the juice of the 2 lemons into a small saucepan, (about 6 tablespoons are required) and sprinkle over the gelatine. Leave it to soak until ‘spongy’ – the gelatine will absorb the liquid.
3. Gently melt the gelatine on the Simmering Plate until it is liquid – do not boil.
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy, turn into another basin. In the same mixer bowl whip the cream lightly then add the finely grated lemon rind, quark and mascarpone. Whisk together.
5. Return the egg and sugar mixture to join the quark, lemon zest and mascarpone in the mixer bowl, whisk together until amalgamated then, while the mixer is running, slowly pour in the melted gelatine.
6. Pour the filling onto the biscuit base. Chill overnight, or a minimum of 4 hours, in the refrigerator until set. Top with strawberry halves.
Notes - For a shiny finish for the strawberries mix in a little apricot glaze or strawberry coulis.