Farmhouse Fruit Cake
115g (4 oz) wholemeal flour
115g (4 oz) plain white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg, grated
75g (3 oz) butter
75g (3 oz) soft brown sugar
175g (6 oz) sultanas
50g (2 oz) mixed peel
50g (2 oz) glace cherries, quartered
2 free range eggs, beaten
150ml (¼ pint) milk
1. Mix together the flours, baking powder and nutmeg. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, or use a food processor to do this.
2. Stir in the sugar, sultanas, peel, cherries and the rind and juice of the half a lemon.
3. Make a well in the mixture and add the eggs and milk, mix together.
4. Spoon the cake mixture into a greased and lined 18cm (7 inch) round cake tin.
5. Bake for about 1¼ hours just below the centre of the Baking Oven, until the cake is browned and firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
Bake at 180ºC, fan oven 160ºC, Gas Mark 4 for about 1¼ hours, until browned and firm to the touch.