AGA Fish and Chips
4 haddock fillets
225g (8 oz) of self-raising flour
300ml of lager (organic if possible)
Salt and black pepper
8 large, floury potatoes
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
I remember being utterly staggered at how easy it is to make beer batter. Really, it's easier than pancakes.
1. Cut the potatoes into chips. Cover in a sprinkling of sunflower oil and place on a baking tray on the floor of the roasting oven for 30-40 minutes.
2. Set aside a couple of spoonfuls of flour. Mix the rest of the flour, lager and salt and pepper together in a mixer.
3. The batter should be thick and gloopy - if it feels too thin add some more flour. Dip the cod in the flour and then the batter.
4. In a large frying pan, heat 1cm (1/2 in) of oil until it's smoking. Add the fish to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the batter turns golden. Carefully lift out the fish and place it on a baking sheet (hard-anodised if possible).
5. Put the baking sheet on the grid shelf on the third set of runners in the baking oven. And cook for a further 10-15 minutes. Accompany with a good portion of mushy peas.
From 'The New AGA Cook' by Laura James published by Absolute Press.